Lost Girl

I've started watching this show and am really loving it.



Its a cross between Angel, The Night Watch (the book!) and True Blood; that is it has similarities to all three storylines but Lost Girl has a hook of it's own.
Intruiging trailer! :D


 A lot of people are groaning about the tidal wave of vampire and zombie movies and TV shows that are being made. There are even many spoofs out - that's how popular they are!
The Vampire Diaries
Twilight
True Blood











I have to say - I'm lovin it!!

I grew up reading epic fantasy to later become intrigued by our own myths and fantasy figures- demons and fallen angels, yet rarely were there films made. At least not the same frequency that they are now.

So I'm appreciating it as someone who grew up in the 80's :)


"they are coming.."
This character was the first elf I ever saw on TV. He was 'Crow' from 'Hawk the Slayer'
He has one line "they are coming" - cause he can tell with his elven hearing - and I used to watch it over because it had an elf in it. They were like the epitome of human aptitude and a little more - they had the magic of the Fey.
I read 'The Hobbit' at an early age and was so fascinated by this elven race. They actually made me consider my own mortality - which freaked out my mum since I was 9/10 at the time.

I also remember talking about elves and people asking if I meant the little sprites that live in gardens >.<

Fantasy was kinda underground back in the 80's and it was geeky to appreciate it.
So bring on the sci-fi and fantasy tv shows - I can't get enough!

Back to 'Lost Girl'..
This show is about the Fey:

will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?!
It's very like the Night Watch storyline, there are those who are fey and are divided between the powers of dark and light. Both sides have been fighting for centuries. The story centres round a girl who just happens to be a Succubus.
i.e.  she has the power to drain life energy and placates her prey via seduction.



She makes friends with a werewolf and human thief and refuses to join either the light or dark.
So far the plots have been fresh..
and I love the Joss Whedon-esque quirky lines.
Kenzi, the sidekick, is so hepcat - like she's just walked out of a comic.

Hale and Dyson - Fey detectives

Detective Dyson, the werewolf  hero character and his side-kick who is a siren, Detective Hale.
All the creatures from our own myths and legends are successfully co existing with us in this show.
There is order of a sort, therefore no threat to mankind, so the characters become appealing as they show their human side and special abilities.
The intrigue of this environment is addictive. I want to see more.


Whoever does the hair and make-up should be proud of themselves - wigs should be used more often, I'd be quite happy wearing a wig everyday, if it was cool.

The clothes, the hair, the writing, the story and ofc the characters...
Together they make a great show!!

The set is very well done. I can tell the people who painted and prop'd it - loved doing so. It looks good!

and it looks believeable. Absolutely love the design of Bo's post-apocolyptic, yet decadent house :D

I had a little peek on the official 'Lost Girl' site. Wanted to know where the story came from - comic or novel.
It seems the show was written for TV, but it was definately written by comic geeks :D - It's so DC Vertigo
As part of their promotion they have an interactive motion comic, where you can learn and interact as your shown Bo's back story.

If this was a graphic novel, I'd read it, however I'm more excited about it being a TV show. I'd love to work my way towards a career where I get to create a room or location in shows like this or the props within it.

When I watch this show I'm impressed by the standard of special effects.

great balls of fire!

I lovin touches, like the Lightsides' tavern and its dwarven/gnomish bartender.
I've not quite gotten together with the shows version of fey/fae. Some of their creatures rules are slightly different. Like the vampire and garlic; some stories say it kills them, others laugh at that rule.

This is an interesting article from canadian site based in Toronto, where the series was filmed.
It's seems Toronto has become a base for filmmakers to hire a warehouse and make their film or TV series.
This interview with Canadian producer Peter Mohan, talks about how interesting some of the projects being filmed there are.

“It really is fascinating for people to think that right in the midst of their neighbourhoods, these crazy-ass shows are being shot,” says Mohan

Hmmmm..Canada - eh?

Am going to do a little research of who does the scenic and prop making for this show and look forward more episodes! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed I’ll probably download it. Thanks.