Lady Billows' House - Part two



This week I also had a 4thyear school pupil in for work experience. He seemed to like it in Paintshop - he stayed with us for three days and it was great to have him.
He helped me prime, base coat, stencil and glaze the doors.












I'd managed to finish up most of the other items on my to do list before we started on the house. I'd left a couple of low priority jobs for first years if they were in, so I could focus my attention on finishing the house.







 The stencilling on the interior side of the doors went much quicker than before. Firstly, we could lay them horizontally on trestles and work at a decent height. Secondly, after the experience of stencilling the roof and the inside of the house, I pretty much had the system down.
I did however, keep having issues with the colours I'd stored for future touch ups.  Nearly everytime I went back with a colour to touch up, it had darkened. Gary suggested it may be that some water has evapourated. There is a radiator near our paint store.. and its always piping hot, which was an absolute blessing during winter. Something to consider, at least.

Painting the doors was a lot of fun, more practise in cutting in.










The front of the doors like everything else needed to have evidence of weathering. Lady Billows would most certainly have had her house kept clean, so again the dirty spatter was kept to a minimum.







I also added a little drop shadow around the facings and under the windows after a suggestion from Gary.

a wee spatter of dirt and a drop shadow
I went a bit gung ho with the dirtying on one of the blue interior door faces and learned the great lesson - it's easier to add than take away. I had to spend most of the next day fixing my mistake. I sprayed the base colour back over some of the stencil then had to retrace my steps and paint the stencil back in and then blend it in with a little dirty again.
It was a lesson well learnt!





It was quite exciting when it came to hanging the doors. Simon, the stage carpentry tutor, seemed to have a plan of action.





before long they were up and swinging!







I love the toilet in back, I believe Lady Billows likes to sing in there at times :)


and that was the wee house done :D

Next : Paintcall no1 - The Back Wall

1 comment:

Luisa said...

I STILL haven't seen the hoose! Desperate, because it looks beautiful! I'm glad you found time to step back and take photos, it's so worth it, I know it can be hard too.

Aww... :) Good times.

Xx