Paintcall no. 1 - The Back Wall

Happy with my hard hat on!
The hard hats were on!
Time for the first paintcall for Albert Herring and we were painting a skyline on the back wall.








.
The design for the backwall was 7 metres up the wall, which meant we had to use a zip tower and a tallescope to paint it.
I had already arranged with TSM manager, Thomas for a zip tower to be erected.
If the truth be told, I was a little nervous about working up that height.
Well.. today was the day I got over my fear of using a tallescope.

After previously gridding up the reference, I marked out the centre of the stage and Luisa took the left side on a zip tower and I took the right side in a tallescope and we marked out the design.




Initailly the thought of climbing the vertical shaky ladder and squeeze into that wee basket at the top was a daunting thought, but after a a couple of times of going up and down I found myself forgetting about the height and thinking about the task at hand.

Check Luisa, cutting in that line!
It wasn't long til we were all taking turns and zipping up and down.

After we got the base colour in, it was a case of bringing in the shading as per the reference. The greatest difficulty was not being able to step back and look at what was done since we were working from a tower.

Never the twain shall meet!
We learned to rely on people's opinions from the ground and if an area worked well and looked good from the ground, I'd try and reproduce that into the next section.

Eventually they do - finished back wall!

I tried to incorporate a little more contrast than the design dictated and if I had to be honest, when I watched a dress rehearsal of the show, I would say the skyline was my least favourite aspect. There was sections I wanted to go repaint.
Just wanted it perfect :P

Next : Paintcall no.2 The floor

No comments: