The Human Model - Pancreas

After work was complete on the mouth sculpt, I started  work creating an large oversized pancreas model. The brief suggested that it should be a box with a lid to place keys inside. It also requested that the model should show the pancreatic duct which was a prominent feature of the pancreas.



pancreas reference


I always start by getting decent references. I struggled to find references of the pancreas that showed detail from all angles. It looked like a huge big tongue, yet had these distinguishing polygonal features on the surface. After working with an initial smaller shape I discovered that I had to add on a section to make it closer to the reference shape. Finally I had what I thought resembled a pancreas.











Similar to what Gary had done with the stomach, I cut off a top section and hollowed out the inside.






 

I needed a little handle for the box lid, so a sculpted one from 2 part foam.














Time for the jesmonite and resin treatment..


Until eventually it becomes a box!


 For the paint finish, I applied a series of layers. The first couple of layers were a mixture of fleshtones. Then I added a darker definition between the polygonal shapes. Next few layers consisted of dry brushing some lighter colour to pick up the texure.The low density poly had left an uneven surface and it actually benefitted the pancreas surface making it look more organic and fleshy. Had I wanted a smoother finish, I would have had to use a higher density poly at the carving stage.



















No comments: