The Intestines

I must admit, when Gary asked me to start work on the large intestines, I had the fear! :D
It's a good fear though, it aids in the journey to achieve as high a standard as possible.
The large intestines fit over the right upper corner of the small intestines and loops across to the left corner. I had to make a piece that would fit around the small intestines, yet not obstruct any drawers - both stomach and small intestine drawers. The large intestines also had a unique pattern and finished under the intestines at the rectum.
A wee challenge methinks!








I started off measuring lengths of poly with roughly the height, length and width that I would want the bowel to be. I made each side one by one, with thoughts of 2 part foaming it all together so it would fit snuggly round the small intestines. The challenge was to realise the shape from all angles, which is why its' impportant to get good references at the start.
The poly we bought had such huge particles - it was great for removing areas of poly quickly.









While I created the shape, I had to keep checking how it fit with the other pieces.











Poylstyrene is one of these materials you have a love/hate relationship with. I love it as it's so easy to carve into, but it gets everywhere! It seems to electrically charge and I found snow showers of poly appear when I got home and attempted to get changed.





Once I had the shape complete, I just added in the detail and gave it a coat of jesmonite, after checking again that it fit around the other pieces.
I kept a small ridge underneath, which Gary renamed the 'heel', to ensure the bowel sat up and over the intestines.












It looks a bit like the reference! :D



















All together...


This was a great wee job! I reaslied how much I love working with polystyrene sculpting and how easy I found it. I'd love to work on a huge piece - that'd be a real challenge.

1 comment:

Suraj said...

Choosing the type of surgery is a very difficult decision. At first, I was adamant about saving my breast. I didn't want a mastectomy, let alone saying that horrible word. Because I had cancer for 3 years and the cancer was invasive, my doctor recommended a mastectomy. However, since the tumor reduced in size after chemotherapy, my doctor allowed me to choose a lumpectomy. There were two things that helped me with my decision to have a mastectomy. 1 - I was so sick from the chemotherapy that I didn't want to take a chance of getting cancer again. 2 - I met several breast cancer survivors that had Dr Itua Herbal treatment which washed all their tumors and then the cancer didn't come back. Due to my age and wanting to have more kids, I decided to reduce my chance of recurrence by choosing a mastectomy so I go ahead to try Dr Itua herbal treatment which I undergo for weeks and today I am having 4th kids as I ever wished. I'm very happy with my decision today. No matter the type of cancer and stage of the cancer, it's best to discuss with Dr Itua oh yes you can mail him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he cures the following disease as well parkinson,als,ms,diabetes,lupus,hpv,herpes,cold sores,hiv/aids,menstrual cramp,pregnancy medicine, and other deadly disease they all free of side effect.